Friday, August 31, 2007

Bird Bread "Secret Recipe"

This recipe was given to me by a gentleman who has been successfully breeding birds for over 50 years. I have tried it on my own flock and it really works! They love it! I have used it for several years now in addition to their regular diets to help bring them into breeding condition as well as once the babies hatch the parents love this to feed the nestlings! They seem to prefer this over pellets, millet sprays, or even seed mixtures to feed their babies. Give it a try and let me know what you think!




  • 2 cups cornmeal

  • 2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned kind)

  • 1 cup cooked brown rice

  • 1 can pumpkin puree (100% pumpkin, not pie filling)

  • 1 cup apple sauce

  • 1 cup dandelion greens (or kale, not spinach it inhibits calcium absorption)

  • 1 cup cooked red beans

  • 4 eggs with shells

  • 1/2 cup oil

  • 1/2 cup hemp seeds

  • 1/2 cup Niger seeds

  • 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder (I use Rumford brand in the USA)


Place everything in a food processor or blender and mix until egg shells are well chopped and everything looks well blended. Bake at 350* about 45 minutes or so until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. I bake this in a 13"x 9"x 2" glass cake pan. You can then cut it into 12 equal pieces and each of those pieces into 6 equal pieces. (see illustration below)


I find that each set of 6 small pieces fits nicely inside a sandwich baggy with a zip top. I can then stack the baggies neatly in my freezer and only take out as much as I need each day.

No comments: