Friday, November 9, 2007

All of our current babies have found new homes!

This is always such a bittersweet time for me! I love my babies and I know I can't keep them all, but this time it wasn't so bad. All 3 of the peachface lovebird babies have found great homes, and so have all 4 blue blackmask lovebirds.

In my last post I only mentioned 3 of the little blackmask babies because I had no intention of selling the fourth baby. He was such a little sweetheart, but he had a problem with one of his legs. His mommy had been extra enthusiastic in cleaning out her nestbox one day and apparently he sat on the slick wood floor with nothing to grip for almost 24 hours. Well as a result one of his little legs is splayed (it pokes out funny to one side.) I took him away from the nestbox for handfeeding as soon as I realized what had happened but we were unable to correct it by use of splints. So I called him Gimpy.

Gimpy didn't seem to be bothered by his slight handicap. He could climb around his cage and perch just fine, but I just didn't think I would ever be able to find just the right home for him. I really grew attached to him and his funny antics. I wanted to be sure that he would be loved and taken care of just like all of his perfect little brothers and sisters. Happily I did find a great home for him with the lady who took home the last of the peachface babies. I really felt good about letting her take him, and I know he will be well cared for.

This is Gimpy.

No comments: